Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

May 21, 2008
Champlain Dog Club Meeting Minutes,
Petawawa Civic Centre

Meeting called to order at just after 7:00pm.

Attendance:  Executive - Connie J., Sandy A. & Barb R.
Directors:  Agility - Chelsea B.
Public Relations  - Jen. M. & Jane D.

Members:  Bronwyn H., Mike & Ivale B., Linda G. & Linda C.,

Old Business:
Membership Booklets - no new ones given out.  I will continue
to lug them to meetings until we get them all handed out.  Don't
forget if you need #'s/email addresses, it is all in there!

SHOW COMMITTEE CHAIR'S REPORT:
On behalf of the Show Committee, Connie extended a great big
thank you to all the volunteers who pulled together and helped to make
our show a success again this year.  Conformation judges are confirmed
for 2009 and Mike has one obedience judge lined up and two more in the
works.   Sandy reports a profit of approx. $3000.00.  Connie reminded us
that Arnprior's #'s were way down, so we can't be too over-confident about
next year but we should be okay because our expenses are lower than
some of the other clubs.

TREASURER'S REPORT:
We currently have a bank balance of $11,284.47.  Sandy will get that
application in for a MasterCard (with a limit) so that members do not
have to use their own cards, when booking hotel rooms for presenters, etc.

BREEDING BETTER DOGS SEMINAR:  Connie has 35 people registered
for the May 31/June1st seminar.  Dr. B. is bringing door prizes.  Linda is
doing name tags.  A REMINDER TO PARTICIPANTS TO LET CONNIE KNOW
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE DINNER AT 6:30 AT FRISCOES IN
EGANVILLE ASAP.

Motion #2 was voted on but not carried as written.
Members present suggested various alternative wordings, so read this
over and we will try voting on it again in June:
THE PURPOSE OF THIS MOTION IS TO ALLOW THE EXECUTIVE, BY
MAJORITY VOTE, TO UNDER SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, SUCH AS
AN IMPENDING DEADLINE, TO APPROVE THE EXPENDITURE OF UP
TO $500.00 PER CALENDAR YEAR, FOR CLUB EVENTS/ACTIVITIES,
PURCHASES, AND OR EDUCATIONAL EVENTS.

AGILITY DIRECTOR'S REPORT:
The clinic is a go for June 14th at Jane's with Christine Boivert.
The total cost is $30.00 per person plus approx. $85.00 for gas.
Sandy made a motion that the club pay for the transportation cost
plus $10.00 per handler/dog so that the total cost for members
will be $20.00 per dog.  This was passed unanimously by those
present.   Cheques ($20.00)  payable to the CHAMPLAIN DOG CLUB
are due in to Sandy, at 5 Gutzman Rd. by June 6th, to hold your
spot.

FURTHER DETAILS:
Sessions will be 1 hour long with 15 minutes in between for set-up for the
next group.  Pariticipants are asked to help set-up for the next
group.  Times have yet to be determined. Particpants will be notified
of times &  you will receive directions to  Jane's place.
Just a reminder from Jane that the area we are using is NOT fenced.

Jane made a motion that we approve a budget of up to $150.00 for
equipment, such as a wobble board for the upcoming clinic.  This
was also passed.

WAITING LIST:  If you wish to be considered if one of the spots
becomes available in a PUPPY GROUP, NOVICE (no experience)
STARTERS (some experience), or ADVANCED,  you may submit
your name to our Agility Director at cheldoug@nrtco.net.

First-Aid Handouts:  Linda handed out two handouts - a list of
supplies that should be in a first-aid kit for dogs, and a list of
common poisonous plants to be avoided.  Over the summer,
these will be posted on the website, as well.

WEBSITE:  During the summer, when she has a little more
time, Jen will begin looking into keeping the updates on the new website
current.  So you will be able to send your brags in to her at that time.

GROOMING SESSIONS: Linda reported that she will be doing
another session through Algonquin College the last two weeks in Oct.
and the first week in Nov. so if you are interested, contact her at
lcooney151@sympatico. ca for information.

T-SHIRTS: Connie didn't get a lot of response to the last two
newsletter items about T.'s but members at the meeting felt we should
go ahead.   Sandy would like T.'s for the teaching staff &
volunteers for classes in the fall and they would come in
handy for other events, as well.
Connie thinks we might be able to do this cheaper than we
originally thought by buying shirts locally and by having
Jordan do up a design logo for the front and back.  She
will be providing us with more information at the next meeting.

PROPERTIES:  (No report at this time)
We will be having a wobble board made for us for use at the
agility clinic, etc.
Barb made a motion that we look into getting the CKC RALLY
cards, as we already have the CARO cards for practice sessions
and for those who are preparing for competitions.  One source lists the
laminated cards at a cost of $70.00 but Sandy is going to look into
it and see if we can do better.

CAPPDT CONFERENCE:  Several members of the club recently attended
the conference in Ottawa.  Next year's conference is in New Brunswick.
We briefly discussed the possiblity of sponsoring members to attend
this or other conferences and decided to come up with a committee to
address this issue.  Jane, Bronwyn, Sandy, Chelsea & Barb will be on the
committee.  We will try to come up with some guidelines for the committee
to use in determining who might be eligible for some funding, including
# of volunteer hours,  how it might benefit other club members, requirements
of participants to provide feedback to the club, etc. and also the
application
proceedures & yrly limits, etc. would need to be addressed.  The committee
could also come up with a list of conferences choices.

SOME OTHER NEW BUSINESS:

MORE ON CONFORMATION:  Connie would like to hold the handling
seminar with Jim Robothom, along with a training session for ring
stewards for Conformation on the same Saturday and then have a
sanction match the following Sunday.  SO, she will continue to
try to find a weekend that will work so stay tuned.....

CORRESPONDENCE:  (not covered at the meeting but an update)
I kept getting a credit from the CKC with regards to the back-ordered
Obedience Rules Handbook.  They are now going to send me one and
it will be given to Jen (Library), as she now has the Conformation,
Agility and Rally Obedience Handbooks.

HALL RENTAL:  We no longer are paying for the hall rental on Monday
nights.   A few members have been getting together on Thursdays at
various locations to work on Rally Skills.  The next session will be in
Sandy's yard at 5 Gutzman Rd. on Thursday at 7:00.  If you are interested,
you are welcome to come out.   We have a small group going to the CKC
Rally Competition in Kingston on June 20th & 21st.

ELECTIONS:  Show Committee to be determined in June for next year.
If you are interested in being a member of the show committee or
perhaps, in job-shadowing someone to learn the ropes, get in touch
with Connie.

CIVIC CENTRE DAYS:  (Petawawa)
If anyone is interested in holding a demo, etc. for Civic Centre Days,
please get in touch with Connie at ambertru@webhart.net.  Or if you would,
like to
set up a committee for Leisure Show (Base Petawawa) in early September
also get in touch with her.   We have done these in the past, but as always
we need some volunteers to come forward and take charge, so think about
it.   It does provide some good PR for the club.

SUMMER GET TOGETHER:   If you would like to serve on this committee,
let us know.  It is closer than you THINK!

PUBLIC RELATION REPORT:  Jen will arrange something for the agility
seminar.  Connie would like ads placed periodically in the local papers
about
the club.

MEETING WAS ADJOURNED AT 8:45.

NEXT MEETING:  June 18th, at 7:00 pm in the Lounge upstairs at the PCC.